Tuesday 12 April 2011

Handmade book project


My first idea was to cut the pages of a book that would look like a fist coming out.
It was lovely to make I was happy with the test piece but it was too literal for Fight Club. I had spent most of my time trying to avoid aggressive imagery in my works as it might lead to the conclusion that Fight Club is only about violence. I'm happy I went away from this idea in the end although I might still finish off an end product for myself.

Soap is possibly the most iconic image from Fight Club and with good reason.
Soap is used as a metaphor for selling somthing people don't want back to them. In the Novel they steal the waste from Liposuction and use it to make soap. Its decribed in the book how to make a bomb from basic ingredients and in this case they use human fat but it also makes a truly excellent soap which is sold to boutiques for $20 a bar. The idea of the men in this book using soap is, in itself, a joke. These men don't care about their appearence. they don't even care if they loose their teeth they don't want to conform to what society dictates.

This book is made from cheap bars of soap (4 for 99cent) and it is held together primarily with wax but also a bit of suger glue where I was afraid it might be too weak under the weight of the soap. The book was only ment to resemble a book in the spin and the pages  I wanted to make it quiet obvious that it was made from soap and not wax. I also used a scented candle to make it smell pretty... kinda regretted that one after a couple of hours of being in close proximity to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment